The Bug

I try to avoid it. Really. I do. I wash my hands frequently. I take my vitamins. I even remember to eat the occasional vegetable or two each day. But, every once in a while, it happens.

3 days coming.

3 days staying.

3 days leaving.

Here is what it is like being on the road with the flu. Day 1 and Day 2. I spent most of the day on the couch. I was completely knocked out.

My wonderful golden never left my side. At least I don’t think she did. I was passed out for most of those two days so I would not have noticed if she had wandered away.

This bug came on quickly. I felt feverish. Severe muscle aches. Extreme fatigue. Awful headache. Coughing. Runny nose. Probably one of the worst ones to hit me in quite some time.

We were still at Walt Disney World when I first became infected. Thankfully we had decided to stop at Bay Lake Motorcoach Resort for a few days on our way out to the Tampa RV SuperShow. Bay Lake Motorcoach Resort is only a 30-minute drive from Fort Wilderness. We left Disney on Saturday morning. I was beginning to experience the symptoms but still able to operate the coach safely.

If we had left Fort Wilderness any later, I would not have been able to drive the coach at all. It would not have been safe to drive.

Was this a bad cold, or was this the flu?

The Center for Disease Control identifies the flu this way:

Influenza (flu) can cause mild to severe illness, and at times can lead to death. Flu is different from a cold. Flu usually comes on suddenly. People who have flu often feel some or all of these symptoms:

  • fever* or feeling feverish/chills
  • cough
  • sore throat
  • runny or stuffy nose
  • muscle or body aches
  • headaches
  • fatigue (tiredness)
  • some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.

*It’s important to note that not everyone with flu will have a fever.

Looks like the flu to me. Unfortunately Lorraine has it as well. She is about a day or so behind me and she is definitely not doing very well today.

We hit the road this morning to make our way to the SuperShow. Another short drive.

I am definitely on the mend and fully capable of operating the motorcoach although it will take another 3 to 4 days to really get over this bug. But I am alert and I can concentrate. The extreme fatigue is mostly gone as are the severe muscle aches.

I’ll need to take it easy. Lots of rest and plenty of fluids.

Looking forward to sharing the RV SuperShow on the blog. I hope that we will have decent cellular data at the grounds.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *